Tuesday, March 29, 2011

AN ODE TO PEACE AND QUIET...ALL GONE!

AN ODE TO PEACE AND QUIET … ALL GONE
(With apologies to all poets.)


A few years ago I moved into this quiet haven seemingly designed for seniors and those who wanted no mowing, watering, snow-shoveling, etc.

After a few years, we began to notice the gradual increase of small children. The Board of Directors received complaints about kids running, jumping, bumping and the like, all in the second floor units.

In my building we reveled in our peace and quiet. I never heard one sound from those who lived over me. And then a couple moved into the condo over me. When they walk, the walls shake. It sounded as if giants walked overhead. I gritted my teeth.

And then little ones began arriving. My peace was over. I could even tell who was walking at any given moment. I named them Big Foot, Little Big Foot, and the Kid.
A neighbor and I recently commiserated with each other. A child lives over her also. Kids never walk when they can run. Running through an apartment doesn’t make much sense, but it’s what they do. Parents never think of the people who live under them until it’s brought to their attention that their lil darlings are disturbing other residents. And then the parents resent being asked to control their children and stop annoying the hell out of other residents!

I have enjoyed my little haven these 16 years, but now I fear I’ll have to find another haven. I will let somebody else “enjoy” the elephants overhead. I can only pray that when prospective buyers come to see my unit, the folks upstairs will be out or asleep. Nobody is going to willingly live underneath what sounds like a herd of elephants? Have you noticed that people with children almost always live in upstairs units? Should be a law against it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in a townhome and the unit that backs up to mine is home to a family of renters with two rambunctious boys and a little girl. Every so often I hear the kids yell and cry, but it's the parents who are loud, for the most part. It sounds like a herd of elephants going up and down the stairs and they cannot close a door without slamming it with all their might.

    And...my half-bath downstairs smells like cigarette smoke - mind you, I have never smoked, and that scent sometimes permeates my entire home! My friend owns the unit, and I cringe sometimes because I remember when she remodeled it when they were trying to sell. I wonder how trashed it must be with all that slamming and pounding.

    And, my Association allows dogs, which is one of the reasons I purchased here. Yet some neighbors who moved in several months ago don't leash their dogs or supervise them - guess what the yard looks like? And another neighbor has been trained by her Yorkie to let that furball run and bark and poop and pee wherever he wants. And I'm about to be "that guy" and call the association....again...having confronted this woman TWICE in person about her dog's behavior and the fact he's unsupervised, even in light of a letter from the Association reminding people to leash & pick up or be fined. Seriously...that dog should NOT be outside my door at 12:30 am barking his lungs out! And then again at 5 am - totally unacceptable!

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Adoro, for years those of us who picked up after our dogs complained and complained about those who did not! It has gotten a lot better, but not perfect. It was awful! Have you ever noticed that renters don't usually give a damn about the damage they do; it's usually only the owners who care! That is outrageous! Our Association prefers for us to "talk" to the residents causing problems. I don't agree with that. That confrontation could lead to who knows what? I discovered months after I had purchased a new car that the woman who parks next to me had been leaning on her car door ( a 2 door coupe which means the doors are larger (!) & she is extremely obese) to get out of her car which meant she dented my passenger side door every time! I am seldom on that side, so it was quite awhile before I noticed. I was furious! I had my insurance company contact her but she ignored them. I then had to confront her. She said her car had dents in it too. I countered that I did not put the dents in her car door AND my car was relatively new while hers had a lot of years on it! Now she usually backs into her parking space. I've had to bite my tongue. Community living is not for those of us who prefer living as hermits to being surrounded by idjets!

    ReplyDelete